Tokyo, Japan, May 21, 2016 - This will be the final showdown of the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Tokyo and, despite having already qualified for Rio, the Netherlands and Japan are expected to put on a great game for the packed house of enthusiastic spectators.
• Japan beat the Netherlands 3-1 in their last encounter at a World Olympic Qualification tournament (2000).
• The Netherlands won 3-1 at the 1996 World Olympic Qualification tournament.
• Their most recent meeting came at the 2010 World Grand Prix. The Netherlands won in five sets.
• These teams met twice at the Olympic Games. The Netherlands won in straight sets in 1996 (group), while Japan prevailed in the final for fifth place in 1992 (3-1).
• The Netherlands have secured their ticket to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. It will be their third Games after a fifth place in 1996 and a sixth place in 1992.
• The last time they won an international tournament was the 2007 World Grand Prix, although the Netherlands also won Group 2 of the 2015 World Grand Prix.
• The Netherlands have won seven of their last eight matches at World Olympic Qualification tournaments, including their last two in 2000.
• Since the start of 2015, the Netherlands have won 22 of their 26 competitive matches, only losing against Germany (European Games), Azerbaijan (European Games), Russia (European Championship) and Korea (Olympic Qualification Tournament).
• Lonneke Sloetjes (NED, 125) only trails Kim Yeon-Koung (KOR, 135) in scoring.
• Japan claimed their ticket for the Olympic Games for the fourth time in five World Olympic Qualification tournaments.
• They only failed to book their spot to the Games at the World Olympic Qualification tournament in 2000.
• After 2000, Japan have only suffered consecutive defeats at the World Olympic Qualification tournament in 2012, when they lost their last two matches, but still qualified for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
• Haruka Miyashita leads all players with an average of 10.17 setups per set.
• Saori Kimura's 65.91% efficiency in receiving is the highest of all players.