Tokyo, Japan, May 14, 2016 - Japan will be looking to please the fantastic home crowd at the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Tokyo with a second win, this time against fellow AVC side Kazakhstan.
• Japan and Kazakhstan met at the 2008 World Olympic Qualification tournament when Japan won in straight sets.
• Japan have lost only one of their last nine World Olympic Qualification matches against fellow AVC sides, a 3-1 defeat to Korea in 2012.
• The most recent meeting between these teams at world level came at the 2015 Asian Championship when Japan won 3-0 in the classification round for the places 5 to 8.
• Japan won their first match 3-0 against Peru and they can now start their World Olympic Qualification tournament with two wins for the sixth time in a row (1996-2016).
• Miyu Nagaoka scored a team high 20 points in the first match.
• Arisa Sato had a 5.00 average in digs per set (15 digs total) against Peru, the highest average of all players in the first match round.
• Kazakhstan lost 3-1 against Netherlands in the first match.
• In 2008, their last participation, Kazakhstan lost the first five matches at the World Olympic Qualification tournament. They also started that tournament with a 3-1 loss (against Serbia).
• Kazakhstan's two wins at the 2008 edition came against Asian opponents, Korea and Thailand.
• Katerina Tatko scored a team high 12 points in the first match.