Tokyo, Japan, May 13, 2016 - Kazakhstan and the Netherlands, who will lock horns on the first competition day of the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Japan, will meet each other for the first time at this kind of a tournament.
• Kazakhstan and Netherlands will meet for the first time at a World Olympic Qualification tournament.
• These teams last met at the 2014 World Championship in the first round. Netherlands won in straight sets.
• Netherlands also won in straight sets at the 2013 World Grand Prix.
• Kazakhstan are eyeing their second Olympic Games participation after 2008.
• They qualified for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing after finishing in fifth place at the World Olympic Qualification tournament, making them the Asian qualifier representative.
• Kazakhstan lost their first five matches at the 2008 World Olympic Qualification tournament, but managed to win their last two against Korea Republic and Thailand.
• Netherlands have been present at the Olympic Games on two occasions: 1992 and 1996.
• In Barcelona 1992, they participated as the European champions. In Atalanta 1996, they qualified at the World Olympic Qualification tournament, after finishing second behind Japan.
• Netherlands have won at least one set in each of the matches at the last two World Olympic Qualification tournaments they participated in.