Tokyo, Japan, May 14, 2016 - Both Peru and the Dominican Republic lost their opening matches at the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Japan. They meet up on the second competition day each aiming at first victory in Tokyo.
• Peru and Dominican Republic most recently met at the 2015 World Cup. Dominican Republic won 3-1.
• Peru's last win over Dominican Republic at a world level tournament came at the 2007 Pan American Games when they prevailed in a five-setter.
• Peru have lost their last World Olympic Qualification match against a NORCECA side. In 2012 they lost in straight sets to Cuba.
• Peru lost their first match against Japan in straight sets.
• They have now lost their last five matches at a World Olympic Qualification tournament since winning 3-0 against Chinese Taipei in 2012, their only win so far.
• Angela Leyva scored 12 points, all spikes, in the match against Japan.
• Dominican Republic lost 3-1 against Thailand in the opening match.
• They had won their first match at the previous World Olympic Qualification campaign in 2008 and then ended that campaign also with three wins.
• Dominican Republic could now lose two matches in a row for the first time since three successive defeats in 2008.
• Dominican Republic scored 61 points from spikes against Thailand, most of all teams in the first match round.
• Brayelin Elizabeth Martinez scored a match high 20 points against Thailand.